2 Tbl. Land O Lakes Butter, or other light butter or margarine
1/3 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
1 large egg or 2 egg whites
1 Tbl. brandy or 1 tsp. imitation brandy flavoring – optional
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbl. unsulphured molasses
3 Tbl. finely minced fresh ginger
2 Tbl. strong brewed coffee
1 1/2 cups all purpose unbleached flour
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground mustard
1/8 tsp. cardamom
pinch of salt
1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
1 to 2 Tbl. powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8 inch round cake pan with cooking spray. Dust the pan with 1 tsp. of the flour and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, using a mixer or a wooden spoon, beat light butter with butter flavoring, and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg, brandy, molasses fresh ginger, coffee, and vanilla, beating well to combine.
3. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, ground ginger, cinnamon, mustard, cardamom and salt.
4. Add the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk to the molasses mixture; beating well after each addition. Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 30 min. or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Cool the cake on a wire rack for about 10 min. Run a knife around the edges of the pan and invert onto the rack. Let cool completely. Transfer the cake onto the serving plate. Sift powdered sugar over the top and serve with fat free whipped cream.