You don’t usually hear the words ‘grill’ and ‘salad’ in the same sentence. But this grilled garden salad is colorful, tasty, and keeps the summer flavors coming.
Karen Mangum shares how to make this Mediterranean dish.
Grilled Garden Tomato and Onion White Bean Salad
- 1 pound garden fresh tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 medium red onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 English cucumber, peeled, seeded, and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 4 ounces crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can S&W Cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a grill to high (450°F to 550°F). Brush tomatoes and onions with 1 tablespoon oil, and place on grates; grill until charred on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes per side (see note). Transfer to a plate, and sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper. Let cool 5 minutes; cut into smaller chunks.
- Combine tomatoes, onions, cucumber, feta cheese, beans and basil leaves in a medium bowl.
- Combine remaining 1/4 cup olive oil, vinegar, mustard, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a small jar with a lid. Cover and shake until well blended. Pour over vegetable mixture and toss to combine. Chill until ready to serve.
*Avoid over grilling so tomatoes and onions don’t get mushy.