1 ½ pounds Mahi-mahi steaks or filets cut into 24 1-inch pieces
8 to 16 metal or pre-soaked bamboo skewers (soak skewers for 1 hour to over night)
2-tablespoons lemon juice
1-tablespoon whipped low fat butter, melted (5.5 grams fat per tablespoon)
½ teaspoon marjoram
1/3 teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon salt
1. Prepare grill: Spray grill with cooking spray, if not non-stick and heat to medium/ medium high.
2. Thread skewers with 8 to 10 pieces of fish and lightly spray sides with cooking spray.
3. Grill skewers for 8 to 10 minutes turning only once, (4 to 5 minutes per side). While first side of fish is grilling, mix lemon juice with melted butter, sage, garlic powder, pepper and salt.
4. After turning skewers, brush lemon butter mixture on grilled side of each skewer. Remove cooked skewers from grill, brush other side with lemon butter mixture and serve with ½ to 1 cup warm Caramelized Onion, Pepper and Pineapple Confit.
Yield: 4 servings of 1 skewer each at 156 calories; 2.1 grams total fat; 0.9 saturated fat; 127 cholesterol; 1 gram carbohydrate; 0 fiber; 31.6 grams protein; 296 milligrams sodium.
Caramelized Onion, Pepper and Pineapple Confit
Cooking spray, butter or olive oil
1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 large red pepper thinly sliced into strips
¼ cup dry red wine
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
¼ cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons mirin rice wine (sweet rice wine)
1 ½ – cups diced fresh pineapple
1/8 teaspoon salt
1. Lightly spray a medium sized nonstick skillet or sauté pan with cooking spray and heat on medium heat. Add onions and red peppers to pan along with red wine and balsamic vinegar.
2. Place a piece a round piece of foil over onions and peppers reduce heat to medium low. Simmer gently until onions and peppers are tender and liquid has evaporated and formed a light glaze on the bottom of pan, about 10 minutes
3. Add brown sugar, mirin rice wine and pineapple to onions and peppers. Stirring gently, allow liquid from rice wine and pineapple to dissolve brown sugar and de-glaze bottom of pan.
4. Add salt and continue to sauté mixture another 1 to 2 minutes or until caramel glaze cooks down and coats onions, peppers and pineapple. Remove from heat and serve or cover and set aside to keep warm until mahi-mahi skewers are finished grilling. Note: The comfit may be made a day or two in advance, kept covered and chilled, and reheated before serving.
Yield approximately 3 cups or 6 – 1/2 cup servings each at approximately 80 calories; 0.2 gram total fat; 0 cholesterol 17.5 grams carbohydrate; 1.5 grams fiber; 0.6 gram protein; 56 milligrams sodium.
HIGH FAT HAS 248 CALORIES AND 12.6 GRAMS FAT PER SKEWER VS. 156 AMD 2 GRAMS FAT
CONFIT HAS 115 CALORIES AND 4 GRAMS FAT VS. 80 AND 0 FAT