10 slices bacon
1 cup finely chopped carrots
1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
1 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 cup fresh chopped mushrooms and/or zucchini
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups water
4 cups mashed potatoes
1 can creamed corn
1 can whole kernal corn, drained
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup half and half (or evaporated milk)
1 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 large tomato chopped (opt.)
1. In a large pot, fry bacon until crisp. Drain and crumble, set aside.
2. In the same pot the bacon was fried in, fry carrots, onion, celery, mushrooms and/or zucchini for about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with the pepper.
3. Add the 2 cups of water to the pot and simmer vegetables until tender.
4. Add the crumbled bacon and the remaining ingredients and stir well.
5. Cook over low to medium heat until chowder is heated through and the cheese melts. Stir often to prevent scorching and add a little milk or water if chowder becomes to thick.
6. Serve alone or in bread bowls if desired. Serves 10-12. Enjoy!