Studio 5 contributor and horticulturist Jerry Goodspeed shows you how to grow your own salsa garden using heirloom vegetables.
Why heirloom vegetables?
1. Heirloom vegetables are becoming more popular because:
• They are open pollinated (You can collect the seed).
• They remind us of a simpler time.
2. Some heirloom vegetables to consider, especially in honor of Cinco de Mayo:
3. Pros and Cons of heirloom varieties.
a. Pros: you can collect the seeds, cheaper, fun varieties, memories, emotional connection.
b. Cons: Less disease and insect resistant, less flavor? Not as productive.
Plant Sale-Heirloom Vegetables and Perennials
Odgen Botanical Gardens
Thursday, May 13th
Utah Botanical Gardens, Kaysville
Saturday, May 15th
For more information on workshops, plant sales and classes go to http://ogdenbotanicalgardens.blogspot.com
Jerry L. Goodspeed
Utah State University Extension
Director – Ogden Botanical Gardens