Studio 5 Relationship Coach Matt Townsend explains a couple ways to keep the “old school” skills.
Healthy Relating Skills
• Research shows that excessive technology usage decreases children’s social skills.
• Turn off the technology and teach them how to relate.
• Have discussions eye to eye.
• Show them how to handle conflict.
• Treating people the same whether they are present or not.
• Create family time and engage with each other face to face.
• Show them the differences between truly connecting to someone and being connected electronically.
• End phone and texting conversations when purchasing items from a shopping clerk.
• Show your children how to say no to technology. When a family member begins to talk, leave computer activities to converse with them.
Being Sensitive to Others
• Research shows that sometimes along with technology overuse comes, insensitivity to others.
• Teach your children that their responses have consequences.
• Sit with your child as they answer emails and read the responses together.
• Have a “Share your texting” family activity where each member, even parents share the texts they received and sent that day.
• Discuss examples of negative emails or texts that you have received and how they made you feel.
• Help your kids respond to a negative or rude comment that was directed towards them.
• Have frequent family activities to interact with each other like playing games or sports together (connect to family rather than the computer screen.)
An Evening with Matt Townsend
Saturday, August 1 from 7pm to 9pm
$20 per Couple
Location: Noah’s in South Jordan
Call to register at 801-747-2121