Put a Korean twist on your basic noodle stir fry! Japchae is on the menu tonight.
We love a good stir fry. It’s quick and easy, and, it’s usually a one pan meal! Add a little Korean flair to your weeknight menu with this new recipe. Pack in the veggies, but still get the kids on board with some yummy noodles!
Amy Rich shares how to make the Korean dish, Japchae. She shares the best way to slice your veggies, and how to make sure your seasoning gets into every bite.
Japchae (Korean Glass Noodle Stir Fry)
- 1 lb. Korean sweet potato noodles (dangmyeon)
- 6 ounces rib eye fillet, cut into thin strips
- 1-2 carrots, peeled and julienned
- long stemmed spinach
- ½ red bell pepper, julienned
- ½ onion, thinly sliced
- fresh shitake mushrooms, remove stems, thinly sliced (note: can use dried shitake mushrooms, soak in water to reconstitute before slicing)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
Beef and Mushroom Marinade:
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 cup soy sauce,
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- ½ Tbsp garlic
- 2 Tbsp toasted sesame seed oil
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1/8 tsp pepper
1. Place the beef strips in the marinade and set aside. Place the mushrooms in a separate bowl with marinade and set aside. (allow to marinate at least 10 min)
2. Wash and cut the vegetables.
3. Prepare the spinach by blanching in boiling water for 5-10 seconds. Drain and run under cold water. Squeeze the spinach to remove any excess water. Add the spinach seasoning and gently mix. Set aside.
4. Prepare the noodles by placing in boiling water and cook for 7-10 minutes. Check the noodles. They should be done but not mushy. Rinse in cold water and drain. Cut the noodles with a pair of kitchen scissors a couple of times so they average 6-8 inches. Place noodles in a large bowl.
5. Use the same nonstick pan to INDIVIDUALLY stir-fry each type of vegetable in a little oil. Season with salt and pepper as they are cooking. Individual cooking will enhance individual flavors, texture and color. Vegetables should be slightly crunchy (not too raw, not too soft) When each vegetable is done, add to the noodles in the large bowl.
6. Add spinach to the noodle bowl.
7. Stir fry marinated mushrooms and transfer to the noodle bowl
8. Stir fry marinated meat over medium heat. Transfer to the noodle bowl.
9. Prepare the sauce and add to the noodle bowl. Mix gently with your hands or with tongs.
10. Top with additional toasted sesame seeds and thinly sliced egg (separate yellow and white, beat with a fork individually. Cook and slice into matchsticks)