3 large egg whites
2 cups sugar
1¾ cups water
1½ cups fresh lemon juice (try 1 1/4 cups first)
¼ cup Limoncello or lemon liquor – optional
1 to 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel – optional
1. In a large metal bowl beat egg whites until very stiff and set aside.
2. In a medium heavy saucepan cook sugar and water over high heat stirring constantly until sugar dissolves and liquid reaches a full boil. Remove from sugar syrup from heat and slowly drizzle into egg whites mixing/whisking constantly until all of the syrup has been incorporated into egg whites.
3. Continuing whisking/mixing mixture slowly adding lemon juice and lemon liquor until combined.
4. Stir mixture over an ice-water bath until completely chilled or cover and refrigerate until cold, about 3 to 4 hours
5. Transfer well chilled mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacture’s instructions.
Yield 1 ½ quarts or 12 ½ cup servings each at approximately 155 calories; 0 fat; 0 cholesterol; 37 grams carbohydrate; 0 fiber; 1 gram protein; 15 milligrams sodium.
Compare with higher sugar traditional recipe at 190 calories and 45.5 grams total carbohydrate
Cook’s Note: If you prefer not to use lemon liquor just substitute another ¼ cup fresh lemon juice for the liquor