16 “Low Fat Chocolate Chip Cookies” approximately 3-3/4 inches in diameter each
1 quart, 4 cups fat free frozen vanilla yogurt or fat free vanilla ice cream
non-stick baking sheet
1. Place 8 cookies spaced evenly apart; bottom side up on nonstick or stick resistant baking sheet. Top each cookie with approximately 1/2 cup firm but not hard ice cream or yogurt.
2. Top each with additional cookie and press firmly but gently down to spread and even out filling between cookies. Cover baking sheet loosely with plastic wrap and allow cookie sandwiches to chill in freezer until center is firm and cookies are frozen, 1 to 2 hours.
3. Server or wrap individually in plastic until ready to serve. Cookie sandwiches can be made a few days ahead of time and will keep well up to 2 weeks in freezer. Allow cookies to soften a few minutes before serving after removing from freezer.
Low Fat Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 1/3 cups unbleached flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons butter flavoring-Butter Buds, Molly McButter, etc.
2 tablespoons malted milk powder
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 cup Land O’Lakes Light Butter or other light butter or margarine, softened
1/3 cup fat free oil and shortening replacement
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 egg whites
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
cooking spray if not using non-stick baking sheets
1. Stir flour, baking powder, soda, butter flavoring and malted milk powder together in a bowl until well combined; set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 325 F. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and oil and shortening replacement with sugars until smooth. Blend in vanilla and egg whites, beating again until smooth.
3. Gradually add flour mixture until just blended and then stir in chocolate chips.
4. Drop by rounded teaspoons, place well apart onto light sprayed or nonstick baking sheets. Bake until cookies are lightly browned around the edges, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cookies stand about 1 minute, then transfer to wire racks to cool. Store cookies in airtight plastic bag or container.