2 stocks celery cut into thirds
1 carrot cut into thirds
1 onion cut into fourths
3 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
2 bay leaves
4 sprigs fresh parsley
1 live lobster (approximately 1 1/2 lb.)
2 cups reserved liquid from lobster stock
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
2 shallots, minced
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup dry sherry
1 to 3 teaspoons either lobster soup base or fish bouillon amount depending on strength of lobster stock
2 tablespoons tomato paste
3 cups fat free half-and-half
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground white pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika
dash cayenne pepper
1. Fill a 4 to 6-quart stockpot with enough water to cover lobster. Add celery, carrot, onion, garlic, bay leaves, peppercorns and salt. Bring to boil, add lobster, cover and simmer 15 minutes.
2. Remove lobster from stock and set aside to cool. When cool, remove lobster meat from claws and tail, coarsely chop meat and set aside. Discard body and shells.
3. While lobster is cooling, increase heat to high and allow stock to reduce to half or less. Strain stock into bowl, reserving 2 cups. Discard vegetables.
4. Lightly spray at 2 to 4 -quart saucepan or stockpot with cooking spray and heat on medium high for 2 minutes. Add chopped onion, garlic and shallots. Reduce heat to medium and sauté vegetables until onion becomes translucent. Mix flour a tablespoon at a time into vegetables, adding small amounts of reserved lobster stock to keep mixture from becoming too dry and/or difficult to mix.
5. Whisk remaining cup reserved lobster stock into flour vegetable mixture. Whisk in sherry, tomato paste, and cook over medium heat whisking constantly until thickened.
6. Reduce heat to low and whisk half-and-half pepper, paprika and cayenne into bisque. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add lobster and continue to cook another 2 minutes until lobster is heated through. Adjust seasonings if necessary and serve.
7. Yield: 6 1/2 cup servings at approximately 246 calories; 1.2 grams total fat; 0.2 gram saturated fat; 108 milligrams cholesterol; 23.7 grams carbohydrate; 0.9 ram dietary fiber; 25.4 grams protein; 857 milligrams sodium.
COOKS NOTE: Quick Lobster Bisque: Omit lobster stock for 1 1/2 tablespoons lobster soup base or 1 1/2 cubes fish bouillon. Substitute lobster stock for 2 cups water and a frozen cooked lobster tail, can be substituted for live lobster.