1 lb. 4% fat free ground beef
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 clove garlic minced or pressed or 1 teaspoon garlic powder – optional
1/3 cup minced onion – optional
1/4 teaspoon salt
dash fresh ground black pepper
4 slices light Swiss cheese
4 low fat or fat free hamburger buns or fat free French or sourdough rolls
1 small thinly sliced onion
2 medium Portabella Mushrooms
brown or deli or mustard
low fat mayonnaise
8 Romaine Lettuce leaves, rinsed and dried
8 tomato slices – optional
1. Lightly spray a non-stick or stick resistant frying pan with cooking spray and set aside
2. Preheat grill according to type, gas, electric, briquette, etc.
3. Using a fork, mix meat together with Worcestershire sauce, garlic, onion, salt and pepper. Divide meat into four equal pieces and form into 3/4-inch thick patties.
4. Grill burgers 2 to 3 inches from heat source for 3 to 5 minutes on each side turning once. Add cheece slices to burgers 1 to 2 minutes maximum before removing from grill. Don’t allow cheese to overcook. Note: If you like your buns toasted or warmed this would be the time to put them on an upper rack of the grill further from the heat source so that they don’t burn.
5. While burgers are cooking preheat frying pan over medium heat and saute mushrooms and onions until tender about 2 to 3 minutes. They should be ready about the time you take the burgers off the grill.
6. Top buns with cheese burgers and a generous portion of sauted onions and mushrooms and serve with tomatoes, lettuce and low foat and fat free condiments.