1 12-inch pizza crust from recipe below or 1low fat pre-made Pizza Bread Crust (1 to 2 grams fat per 1/8 serving )
4 oz. (1 cup ) Frigo Truly Lite Mozzarella Cheese, grated or other reduced fat mozzarella (2.5 grams fat per 1 oz.)
1 pound 6 oz. 96% to 98% fat free turkey Italian sausage, cooked and drained well on paper towels, top and bottom.
1/2 medium red or yellow onion, thinly sliced
2 medium Portabella mushrooms, thinly sliced
1/2 medium red pepper sliced in thin strips
olive oil or other vegetable cooking spray
1 to 2 large cloves minced garlic
1 6-oz. can tomato paste
1 14.5-oz can chopped tomatoes
2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried
1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 to 3 dashes chili powder – optional
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder – optional
1/4 cup blush or white wine – optional
1 or 2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 or less teaspoon salt – optional
fresh ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1. Lightly spray a heavy 1 to 2-quart saucepan with olive oil cooking spray and heat on medium. Sauté minced garlic for 3 to 5 minutes until lightly golden in color.
2. Increase heat to medium and add all remaining ingredients, except olive oil and fresh herbs, basil and oregano . Stirring constantly, bring sauce to a gentle boil.
3. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 35 minutes to 3 hours. Add olive oil and fresh herbs to sauce the last few minutes of cooking time; remove from heat and set aside. Remaining sauce can be refrigerated a week or frozen.
Yield: 2 1/2 to 3 cups sauce, enough for two pizzas or 16 servings at approximately 20 calories; 0.3 gram total fat; 0 saturated fat; 0 cholesterol; 4 grams carbohydrate; 0.7 gram dietary fiber; 0.6 gram protein; 48 milligrams sodium.
1 package quick-rise active dry yeast
2 teaspoons honey or sugar
2 3/4 cups unbleached flour, or 2 cups unbleached flour and 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup yellow corn meal
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup warm water (115º to 125º F)
olive oil cooking spray
1. Combine together flours, cornmeal, yeast, salt and sugar in mixing bowl. If using honey dissolve in the warm water.
2. Mix water into dry ingredients to form soft dough; knead dough out onto a floured surface for 3 to 5 minutes. Turn dough into a bowl sprayed with olive oil cooking spray; cover with plastic wrap and a towel and let rise until doubled in bulk, 10 minutes.
3. Punch down dough and divide into 2 equal balls or shape into a large ball for one pizza. Let dough rest 5 minutes.
4. Spray pizza pan(s) lightly with cooking spray. Roll dough out onto a floured surface into two 12-inch or one 16- to 18 -inch crust; lay dough on pizza pan(s) and let rise for 10 to 15 minutes.
5. Add sauce, vegetables and sausage to pizza, setting cheese aside. Place pizza in cold oven on bottom rack. Turn oven to 450 º F. and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove pizza from oven; add cheese and return to oven for 2 to 4 minutes or until cheese melts.