2 cups cake flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup non fat sour cream
2 tablespoons Canola oil
1/2 cup evaporated non-fat skim milk
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon extract – optional
1 cup egg whites at room temperature 6 to 7
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1. Preheat oven to 325 F. In a small bowl sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt and set aside.
2. In separate large bowl, mix together sour cream, oil, lemon juice, milk, lemon rind vanilla and lemon extracts. Gently stir flour mixture in to liquid mixture in two stages until combined.
3. Using a copper or stainless steel bowl, beat egg whites to soft peaks (If bowl is stainless steel, add cream of tartar to whites when just foamy.) Gently fold 1/3 of egg whites into flour mixture to lighten, then gently fold in remaining whites.
4. Pour batter into a 10-inch non-stick bunt or tube pan. Bake for approximately 45 to 55 minutes until wooden skewer comes out clean and top springs back when gently pressed with finger. Cool cake upside down on wire rack.
4. When cool, remove cake from pan and drizzle top and sides with Lemon Glace Icing
LEMON GLACE ICING
1 3/4 cup Confectioner’s sugar
4 to 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1. Sift sugar into a small bowl. Add lemon juice and beat until smooth. Drip, drizzle or pour icing on top of cake after it has cooled.