Stock the freezer with breakfast burritos to streamline your morning routine.
This new year, save time in your morning routine by batch prepping breakfast!
Dina Driggs shares how to stock your freezer with grab-and-go breakfast burritos that will help save the morning rush!
For more recipes and ideas from Dina, follow her on Instagram at @dinasdiner.
Make Ahead Breakfast Burritos
- 8 Medium Potatoes
- 2 lbs. Bacon, Sausage, or whatever breakfast meat you prefer
- 18 Eggs
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 3 Cups Colby Jack Cheese, shredded
- 25 Medium Tortillas
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Pepper
- 2 cups Salsa (Optional)
- When making these breakfast burritos, the preferred tortilla is Tortilla Land Ready to Cook Tortillas. These tortillas need to be cooked on medium heat in an ungreased frypan for about 30 seconds on each side, turning often so they do not burn. Cook these first since they take about 30 minutes to get ready.
- Cut 2 pounds of cold bacon into small pieces. Cook in a large fry pan, stirring often. This takes about 15 minutes. You can also cook the bacon on a griddle in strips on the countertop while cooking the tortillas on the stove. You will need to tear these apart or cut them into smaller pieces to mix into burritos.
- While bacon is cooking, peel, slice, and dice potatoes into small cubes.
- When bacon is done cooking, drain the grease into a heat-resistant bowl and place cooked bacon on paper towels. Once cooled, place the bacon in a bowl large enough to handle all the other ingredients.
- Place the diced potatoes in the hot pan you just cooked the bacon in. When potatoes start to stick, pour in a little bacon grease. Cook the potatoes until they are soft and have lost their crunch, about 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so. During the last 5 minutes of cooking, place a lid on my pan to steam the potatoes to finish cooking them. Potatoes that have been cooked until there is a crunchy, brown edge are very desirable. Use a metal spatula to get underneath the cooked potatoes to turn them.
- While potatoes are cooking, grate 1 pound of cheese. You can use any cheese your family likes, medium cheddar, sharp cheddar, white cheddar, pepper jack, or a combination of any or all these choices.
- Once the potatoes are done cooking, place on top them of bacon in a large bowl.
- Break eggs and place in a bowl and beat with a wire whisk. When almost mixed into a light, egg mixture, add water and beat again until mixed well.
- Place eggs in a hot buttered, fry pan. Gently stir as they begin to cook on medium heat. Keep stirring gently until the eggs are completely cooked. They will continue to cook once you place them on the potatoes.
- Sprinkle grated cheese on the cooked eggs and then season with salt and pepper. Gently stir all the ingredients together in the large bowl to make the filling.
- Place the tortillas and the filling on a large surface in an assembly line.
- Fill each tortilla with about 1/2 cup of filling. Fold in the sides and tuck the top underneath the filling and fold to create a burrito.
- This recipe usually will make about 22 burritos from all these ingredients, but you might fill yours lighter or heavier.
- 10 breakfast burritos will fit in a gallon-size plastic bag. Seal and get as much air out as you can and then freeze. These will last 3 months in your freezer.
- Once you are ready to use, wrap the frozen burrito in a lightly, dampened paper towel. Cook for 1 minute in a microwave. Take out and squish the middle of the burrito, wrap it in the paper towel again and cook for an additional minute on high. Serve with salsa or eat plain.