These homemade soft pretzels will be your new go-to snack.
There’s nothing better than a good soft pretzel. Until now, you had to go to a ball game or carnival to get the best ones. But not anymore! You can make this snack at home. It’s easier than you think!
Matthew Trone, the Manly Baker, shares the recipe. He gives his best secrets to success, and shows how you can customize the flavor on your pretzels.
Find more recipes from Matthew on Instagram, @themanlybaker
Homemade Soft Pretzels
Yields 6 pretzels
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 heaping teaspoon yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon softened butter
- About 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup baking soda for boiling
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter
- Desired toppings
1. Mix together water, yeast, salt, brown sugar, and softened butter and let stand for 10 minutes.
2. Add 1.5 cups flour and knead. While kneading, continue to add flour until dough doesn’t stick to your fingers while kneading.
3. Let dough rise for 15 minutes.
4. Cut into logs, roll until finger-size in diameter, and form into pretzel shape.
5. Bring about 9 cups of water to a simmer and mix in about 1/2 cup of baking soda.
6. Place pretzels in simmering baking soda water for 30 seconds!
7. Sprinkle coarse salt on top.
8. Bake at 400 for 12 minutes.
9. Brush with melted butter and add any toppings you’d like (cinnamon sugar, herbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic, etc)