Summer is the perfect time to make this cream pie.
Don’t save the pie for Thanksgiving! This bright and sunny dessert is a slice of summer, and deserves to be eaten all year long.
Tami Steggell shares her recipe for mango passionfruit cream pie.
Find more recipes from Tami on Instagram, @bitemeindustries.
Download the full recipe here.
Mango Passionfruit Cream Pie
Step One – The Crust
- 2 packs (280g/3 cups/9.8oz) Honey Maid graham crackers, crushed
- 1 1/4 sticks of butter, melted (140g)
- 3 tbs (24g) powdered sugar
- Pulse graham crackers and powdered sugar in a food processor until coarsely crushed.
- Add 140g melted butter, blend with a fork.
- Press into the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate. I use the back of a drinking cup to shape against the pie plate. The crust should be about a 1/2” thick.
Step Two – The Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 oz cream cheese (226g), softened at room temperature for 1-2 hrs.
- 1 cup powdered sugar (130g)
- 1 tsp vanilla (5g)
- 2 tbs (28ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice of one whole lemon
- 3 tbs (63g) sour cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (240g), whip until firm peaks. I always choose Darigold 40% Fat Heavy Whipped Cream.
- In a stand mixer, equipped with a whisk, mix room temperature cream cheese, powdered sugar until smooth. Add lemon juice, vanilla, and sour cream. Mix until combined well and no lumps are visibly remaining.
- Add heavy cream, beat until firm peaks form, stopping to scrape down sides with a rubber spatula.
- Layer onto the graham cracker crust, place in the refrigerator to chill. This makes a delightful, light and airy filling.
Step Three – Passionfruit Curd
- 1 cup granulated sugar (200g)
- 6 egg yolks (200g)
- 1/2 cup passionfruit pulp (160ml)
- 1/2 cup butter unsalted, cold (113g), cut into 1” cubes
- In a heavy bottom sauce pot, combine sugar, and egg yolks that have been pressed through a fine mesh sieve. Whisk together thoroughly.
- Add passionfruit pulp from fresh or frozen passionfruit that has been de-seeded. Strain seeded pulp through a fine mesh sieve to remove the crunchy seeds.
- Heat the sugar, yolks, passionfruit pulp to just below simmer, between 150°-160°F, stirring constantly for about 6-8 minutes. It will be done when you can draw a line through the curd on the back of a spoon or rubber spatula.
- Remove from heat, promptly stir in cold cubed butter to quickly cool the curd and to emulsify the ingredients together. Add butter in thirds, stirring until fully integrated. Cover and cool until ready to use.
Step Four – THE FINAL PIE!
- Toss curd with 4-5 freshly cut mangos (2lbs/907g) until well coated, layer onto whipped cream cheese layer.
- Store the pie in the fridge, covered 2-4 hours before serving. Enjoy!
Make ahead tip*: You can prepare the pie and the curd 1 day in advance and store in the fridge. The day of serving you can combine the freshly cut mangos with the passionfruit curd, then layer onto the chilled pie. Chill to set, then serve!