2 cups granulated sugar
3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a saucepan, combine gelatin, sugar, salt, and water. Stir Well.
2. Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
3. Cool slightly, and stir in vanilla.
4. Pour into a large mixer bowl and beat at high speed for 10-15 minutes or until mixture resembles thick marshmallow creme.
5. Pour into a buttered 9X13 inch pan, cover and let set for several hours or overnight.
6. Cut into 1-inch squares or cut into shapes using small cookie cutters.
7. Roll each square or shape into powdered sugar to coat all sides. Flavored powdered sugars such as lemon or strawberry can also be used and add a nice flavor. (Add flavored gelatin or powdered drink mix to powdered sugar.)
To make Chocolate Marshmallow Eggs, fill a cake pan at least 2 inches deep with flour. Press a real or plastic egg into the flour making impressions approximately 1-inch apart. Spoon the marshmallow creme into the impressions. Let set for one hour. Carefully remove the marshmallow eggs from the flour and place on a waxed paper lined plate. Freeze for 30 minutes. Melt dipping chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips in a double boiler over low heat. (Add a tiny amount of shortening to the chocolate if needed to thin.) Using a spoon, dip the frozen marshmallow eggs in the chocolate to coat. Place on waxed paper to set. Decorate eggs with icing flowers if desired.