If you love crispy, spicy ribs, you’ll love this grilled chicken.
Chef Freyka from Harmons shares this delicious Memphis style recipe.
Memphis Style Grilled Chicken
1 whole Chicken, quartered
As needed Kosher salt
¼ cup Apple Vinegar
1 tbsp. Mustard sauce
3 tbsp. Smoked paprika
2 tbsp. Brown sugar
1 tbsp. Kosher salt
1 tbsp. Fresh ground pepper
1 tsp. Dry thyme, grind into powder
1 tsp. Mustard powder
1 tsp. Granulated garlic
1 tsp. Oregano, crushed
1 tsp. Cumin
½ tsp. Cayenne, more to taste
½ tsp. Onion powder
For Cooking and Serving:
1 cup Wood chips
As needed Canola oil
As needed Favorite BBQ sauce
1. Pat the chicken dry. Sprinkle with salt, including under the skin.
2. Combine vinegar and mustard. Brush chicken on all sides, including under the skin.
3. Place chicken pieces on a cooling rack to air dry for a few minutes.
4. To make the rub, combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl.
5. Rub chicken thoroughly, especially under the skin. Transfer chicken to a sheet pan lined with rack, skin side up. Set aside in the fridge for 1 hour.
6. Soak wood chips. Preheat oven to 250°F.
1. Preheat a cast iron grill pan, or grill, over high heat.
2. Brush lightly with oil. Lightly dab the skin side of the chicken with oil.
3. Grill on both sides, 2 minutes per side.
4. Return chicken to the sheet pan, do not remove the rack. Place chicken on the rack with the skin side up.
5. Drain wood chips. Double wrap them in heavy duty foil, but make sure the wrap is loose, not tight. Poke some holes on the top of the packet.
6. Place wood chips on the bottom of the oven, and the chicken on the rack above.
7. Smoke chicken in the oven for approximately 1 hour.
8. Optional step; brush chicken with barbecue sauce, bake at 375°F. for 5 minutes
9. Serve chicken with favorite BBQ sides.
• Smoke chicken in the oven a bit longer and shred with the help of two forks. Toss chicken with favorite barbecue sauce. Serve in a toasty Harmons hamburger bun.
• Cool shredded chicken, store in freezer bags or containers, freeze for easy dinners for up to 3 months.