A good pesto makes for a tasty weeknight meal. Whip up this Italian classic for dinner tonight.
Get a taste of Italy with this recipe! Basil, Italian sausage, a hint of garlic, all these ingredients come together for a flavor packed pasta dish. It’s everything you need for a complete meal!
Marguerite Henderson shares this authentic recipe straight from her home kitchen.
Find more of Marguerite’s recipes on Instagram, @margueriteh100
Pesto alla Trapani & Sausage Pasta
Pesto alla Trapani:
- 1 cup fresh Italian parsley
- ½ cup basil leaves
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- 2 Roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ cup grated Romano cheese
- ½ – 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
For sausage mixture:
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ lb. bulk mild Italian sausage meat
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 lb. imported tubular shaped pasta such as penne, rigatoni, ziti, cooked “al dente”, drained
- 1 cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
Place all ingredients except olive oil in work bowl of food processor. Puree until all ingredients are well combined. Slowly add the olive oil while motor is running to form a smooth pesto. Taste for seasoning.
In a large skillet, heat olive oil, and cook sausage meat and onion until sausage is cooked through, crumbling as you cook. Remove from heat, add pesto and pasta, tossing well, return to heat and cook for another minute on low heat. Transfer to a large serving platter, add cheese and serve at once. Serves 4-6.