(Chicken in Coconut Milk with Basil and Mint)
1 lb. chicken breasts or 1 lb. chicken breast tenders, tendons removed, cut into bite size pieces
4 cloves fresh garlic finely minced or pressed
¼ teaspoon salt
4 whole green onions
½ cup fresh opal, lemon basil or green basil, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped – optional
1 cup straw mushrooms fresh or canned and rinsed
1-cup miniature corn sliced in half lengthwise
1 cup fat free half and half or evaporated nonfat skim milk
2 teaspoons chicken base
1 tablespoon sake* or dry sherry
1 teaspoon Chinese chili sauce*
1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with an equal amount of water
2 teaspoons imitation coconut extract
2 teaspoons Oriental sesame oil
1. Slice the top white part of green onions thinly on a diagonal and set aside. Slice green stems of onion into thin strips lengthwise and set aside If using fresh straw mushrooms, wipe mushrooms clean and trim off ends of stems; set aside. If using canned mushrooms, rinse well and set aside.
2. For Sauce: Combine half and half or evaporated milk with chicken base, sake or sherry, chili sauce and set aside. Combine cornstarch with an equal amount of water and set aside.
4. Lightly spray a stick-resistant or non-stick pan or wok with cooking spray and preheat over medium -high heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Add garlic and sauté a few seconds, then add chicken. Stir fry chicken for 2 minutes.
5. Add basil, mint and green onions and stir fry 30 seconds. Add mushrooms and baby corn and stir fry 30 seconds more.
6. Add sauce mixture to pan. When mixture comes to a low boil, stir in cornstarch mixture to thicken. Stir in imitation coconut extract and sesame oil and serve immediately over steamed rice made without butter or salt..