Raspberry Almond Layer Cake
2 cups flour
1 Tbs. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
12 Tbs. butter, at room temperature
1 ½ cups sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. almond extract
1 cup milk
5 egg whites, room temperature
¾ cup raspberry preserves (warmed slightly)
1. Preheat oven to 350′
2. Butter and flour 2 round 8 inch cake pans
3. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
4. In electric mixer, beat butter until light. Gradually add the sugar, beating until well blended. Beat in the vanilla and almond extracts. Reduce the speed and add the flour and milk alternating each, beginning and ending with flour.
5. In a separate bowl beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold the beaten whites into the batter just until incorporated. Divide the batter between the prepared pans, smooth with spatula.
6. Bake cakes until a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Transfer to racks and let cool in the pans for 10 minutes. Invert onto racks and cool completely.
1 8 oz. package cream cheese, at room temperature
8 Tbs. butter (1 stick), at room temperature
2 lbs. powdered sugar
1 ½ tsp vanilla
1 ½ tsp almond extract
To prepare the frosting, combine the cream cheese and butter in a large bowl. Beat until smooth. Add the extracts and the sugar, beating until smooth with enough evaporated milk to create a nice spreading consistency.
Cut each cake in half horizontally. Place one layer on a plate. Spread ½ cup of the frosting on top, then cover with ¼ cup of the preserves. Top with another cake layer and repeat. Top with the third layer and repeat. Top with the forth layer and frost top and sides with remaining frosting. Ring the top of the cake with fresh raspberries.