Creamy Sausage and Tortellini Soup
makes 6 servings
- 1 1/2 lbs ground Italian sausage (can be mild or hot)
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 4 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 (10oz) package refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 large handful of baby spinach
- 2 cups milk
- salt and pepper
- In a large soup pot, brown sausage over medium-high heat until cooked through completely. Transfer cooked sausage to a paper-towel lined plate and set aside to drain. Keep about 1-2 Tablespoons of grease in the pan.
- Stir in onions and carrots and saute for about 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent. Add in the garlic and saute for about another minute. Stir in the flour until it covers all the veggies and browns just a teeny bit.
- Slowly add in the chicken stock, stirring after adding it a little at a time. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer for about 5 minutes.
- In a separate small pot, bring tortellini in water to a boil for 30 seconds, then drain. Add to the soup.
- Add in sausage, spinach, and milk, simmer about 2 minutes, add in salt and pepper, then serve!