This roasted beet salad will change your mind on this underappreciated vegetable.
Beets can be polarizing. You either love them or you hate them.
Wendy Paul is giving us a reason to LOVE them! She shares the recipe for a hearty roasted beet salad. Beets require adding flavor and roasting them t0 really help tone down the earthiness and up the sweetness.
Roasted Beet Salad
- 2 lbs. fresh beets, peeled and diced
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- ½ red onion, sliced thin and pickled (optional)
- 1 handful arugula
- Herbed Creamy Feta (below)
- Candied Pistachios (below)
- 2 tbsp. Napa Valley Olive Oil for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Prepare your beets. It’s messy- wear gloves & an apron for sure! Peel and dice the beets. Layer on a lined baking sheet, season with salt and pepper generously and ½ tsp. garlic powder. *Tip-Beets need flavor.
- Roast for 30-35 minutes until fork tender and edges are golden.
- Make your feta & set aside. Then make your candied pistachios.
- Assemble your salad. Layers of beets, arugula, creamy feta and pistachios. Red onion is of course possible. Drizzle with Napa Valley Olive Oil. Serve room temperature or chilled. Great both ways.
Herbed Creamy Feta
- 4 oz. feta (I love Greek Feta from Walmart)
- 1 tbsp. heavy cream
- 1 tbsp. fresh Greek oregano or freeze-dried oregano
- 1 tbsp. fresh Basil or freeze-dried basil
- In a small bowl, mix the above ingredients and let sit for 10 minutes before using.
- 1/3 cup pistachios, shelled
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. water
- ½ tsp. cardamom
1. In a small saucepan, combine these ingredients and stir until sugar is dissolved, nuts are fully coated. Simmer on low for 4- 4 1/2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour onto a parchment lined baking sheet in a single layer to cool slightly before using. The pistachios will be so hot. After they cool, you can break any clumps apart with your hands.