Toss what’s left of your fresh, summer veggies into an easy one dish meal.
1 globe eggplant or several Japanese eggplant(1 lb), peeled and cut into ¾ in cubes
2 medium zucchini or summer squash (1 lb), cut into ½ in cubes
1 red onion, halved and sliced ¼ in thick
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained, with ½ cup juice reserved (or use fresh)
1 (14 oz) can medium black olives
¼ c. extra-virgin olive oil
5 garlic cloves, sliced thin
1 t. minced fresh thyme, or ¼ t. dried
1 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper
1 ½ T red wine vinegar
1. Adjust oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 375.
2. Combine all ingredients except vinegar and mix well. Spread the mixture into a 9×13 pan.
3. Roast until the vegetables have softened and are browned in spots, about 1 hour, stirring thoroughly halfway through the cooking time.
4. Sprinkle with vinegar before serving
This recipe is adapted from the America’s Test Kitchen Best Recipes Cookbook.
Cheddar Cheese Crackers
1 8-oz. block extra sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely shredded
1/2 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 t. kosher salt
1 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
2 T ice water
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the cheddar, butter, and salt until soft and uniform. Add the flour and mix on low speed; the dough will be dry and pebbly. Slowly add the water and continue to mix until the dough has formed a ball.
2. Pat the dough into a disk, wrap tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least an hour.
3. Preheat the oven to 375˚. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or coat with cooking spray.
4. Divide the dough into two pieces and roll each into a very thin (1/8 inch or less) 10×12-inch rectangle. Using a fluted pastry cutter, cut the rectangles into 1-inch squares, or use cookie cutter to make shapes, then transfer to the baking sheets. Use a fork to prick each cracker to help with even baking.
5. Bake for 17 minutes or until puffed and browning at the edges. Watch carefully so they don’t burn. Immediately move the crackers to racks to cool.