Do you have cherries upon cherries upon cherries? Use ’em up with a delicious free-form pie, or cherry galette.
Heather Smith shares the recipe for this rustic summer dessert.
Find more kitchen tips at www.gygi.com.
For the Crust:
- 3/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 4 oz. cold unsalted butter, cut in cubes
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp. almond emulsion
- 3 tbsp. ice cold water
For the filling:
- 3 cups pitted cherries, we love a variety of color here so used a combo of black and rainier cherries
- 2 tsp. orange juice
- 1 Tbsp. unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. fresh grated nutmeg
- 1/3 cup turbinado sugar
- 3 oz . Marzipan
- 1 egg
- turbinado sugar
- 1 cup toasted almonds, chopped
- Buttermilk Whipping Cream
- ¾ cup whole buttermilk
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup powdered sugar (or more to taste)
- a pinch or two of cream of tartar
You can substitute the spelt flour here for all of it all-purpose but the spelt does offer a heartier, sweet flavor that you won’t achieve with just all-purpose flour.