Savory Onion & Dried Cherry Scones
4 cups Flour
2 Tbsp. white sugar
1 ½ tsp. salt
4 tsp. baking powder
¾ cup salted butter, chilled
2 tsp. lemon zest, minced
2 tsp. black pepper, cracked
2 cups yellow onions, ¼ in. diced
2 ½ cups dried sour cherries, coarsely chopped
4 large eggs, beaten
4 cups heavy cream
2 large eggs, beaten, for egg wash on top of scones
1. Combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Add butter and blend until
mixture resembles cornmeal, with small chunks of butter still visible.
2. Add lemon zest, thyme, pepper, onions and dried cherries. Mix only until
3. Add four eggs and cream and blend until mixture just holds together as dough.
Remove dough from mixing bowl and turn out onto lightly floured work surface. Gently
fold dough over itself 10 times.
4. Divide dough into four equal pieces. Form each piece into a 7- in. round, about
¾ inch thick. Cut each round into six wedges. Brush tops with egg wash.
5. Place separated wedges onto baking sheet. Bake at 425-degrees for 20 minutes.
Remove from oven and place on rack to cool.