This pesto slaw will transform your summer meals.
There’s good slaw, and then there’s great slaw. Level up your traditional recipe with some ingredients that you might not have thought of. Whip up a tangy, savory dressing to top it off for the best slaw you’ve ever tasted.
Scott Hamilton shares what makes this slaw recipe different. The addition of fennel gives it a distinct flavor that takes it from basic to gourmet. The dressing he suggests uses pesto that packs a punch.
Find more recipes from Scott on Instagram, @chef.scotthamilton, or at www.highdesertkitchen.com.
Grilled Fennel Pesto Slaw
- 1 Fennel Bulb, Trimmed, Quartered, and Stemmed Removed
- 1 Carrot, Medium size, Julienne Cut
- 1 Watermelon Radish, Small-medium, Julienne Cut
- 1 Red Apple, Small-Medium, Julienne Cut
- ¼ Wedge of Red Cabbage
- ¼ cup Chopped Walnuts
- As Needed Olive Oil, Salt and Pepper
Slaw Dressing Ingredients
- ⅓ cup Pesto
- ⅓ cup Mayo
- ¼ cup White Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp Prepared Horseradish
- 1 tsp Garlic, Minced
- As Needed Salt
1. Preheat Grill to medium high heat.
2. While the grill is heating, drizzle Quartered Fennel, and Red Cabbage Wedge with Olive oil.
3. Then season Fennel and Red Cabbage with Salt and Pepper.
4. Place Fennel and Red Cabbage on the direct heat of the grill.
5. Cook each side about 3 minutes, or until golden to dark brown grill marks have been achieved.
6. Remove from the grill and set on a small sheet tray, and place in the fridge to cool.
7. While Fennel and Cabbage are cooling, in a small bowl combine all ingredients for the dressing, stir until combined.
8. Salt Dressing to taste.
9. Once Fennel and Cabbage, cut into thin strips slightly thicker than carrots, radish, and apples.
10. Combine all ingredients, adding about half of the dressing, stir to coat evenly.
11. Add Dressing until coated to your liking, and salt if needed.
Honey Mustard and Herbed Grilled Pork Chops
- 1 Lb ½-3/4in Boneless Pork Chops or Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 2 Tbsp White Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Rosemary Leaves, Finely Chopped
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Thyme Leaves, Finely Chopped
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Parsley, Finely Chopped
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Basil, Finely Chopped
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Fennel Fonds, Finely Chopped
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tsp Stone Ground Mustard
- 1 tsp Garlic, Minced
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Fresh Cracked Pepper
1. In a large bowl whisk together all ingredients, except the meat, until fully incorporated.
2. Add meat, and toss until fully coated with marinade.
3. Cover and let marinade for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
4. Turn the grill on to Medium high heat.
5. Place meat on grill cook 3-5 minutes and flip, cooking an additional 2-3
6. Flip meat again but at a 90 degree angle to create the hash marks, cook an additional 3-5 minutes.
7. Flip and take the meats temperature, you want to cook chicken to an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit and pork to an internal temperature of 145 degrees Fahrenheit.
8. Remove from the grill and let rest 2-3 minute before serving.
Honey Mustard and Herbed Grilled Pork Chops Sandwich with Grilled Fennel Pesto Slaw
- Grilled Pork Chops or (chicken)
- Grilled Fennel Pesto Slaw
- Extra Slaw Dressing, or Pesto
- As Needed Balsamic Vinegar
- 1-2 Tomato Slices per sandwich
- 1-2 Fresh Mozzarella sliced ¼ in thick per sandwich
- Your favorite Bun
1. Once pork or chicken is cooked begin assembling sandwich’s.
2. Light toast the insides of the bun
3. Place a small amount of the dressing on the bottom bun.
4. Atop of that place the mozzarella cheese, and immediately place the freshly grilled meat onto the cheese.
5. Place a slice of tomato, season with salt and pepper.
6. Top with slaw
write essays for money
essay writing sites
write an essay introduction
conclusion examples essay
research essay outline
argumentative essay topics