Soothing Pumpkin Soup
3 cups chicken stock
1 cup whipping cream
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin, can substitute cooked pureed squash
3 tbl brown sugar
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
fresh ground pepper and salt to taste
chopped fresh cilantro or parsley to garnish
1. Bring chicken stock and cream to a boil. Whisk in remaining ingredients except cilantro. Reduce to simmer and let cook 15 minutes. Season to taste. Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with cilantro. Serves 4.
Baked Acorn Squash
2 medium acorn squash, cut in halve lengthwise
1/4 cup butter
2 pears, peeled, cored and diced
2 apples, peeled, cored and diced
1/3 cup raisins
2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1. Place squash on baking sheet, cut side up. Divide butter in each halve, cover with foil and bake at 400 degrees until squash has softened, about 45 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients together in a bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice. Spoon mixture into cooked squash halves. Cover with foil and return to oven. Bake about 15 minutes. Serves 4.
Balsamic Roasted Pepper Bruschetta
8 baguette slices
2 red bell peppers and 2 yellow bell peppers
2 Tbl balsamic vinegar
2 Tbl olive oil
4 anchovies, chopped
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
fresh black pepper and sea salt to taste
2 tsp minced garlic
1. Brush olive oil onto baguette slices and over bell peppers. Broil peppers 6 inches below broiler until lightly charred, turning peppers to char all sides. Remove to a bowl and cover with plastic; let cool slightly. Remove charred skin and slice into thick ribbons. Place in a bowl with remaining ingredients and toss. Lightly toast bread. Arrange peppers on bread slices and spoon marinade over the peppers. Serves 4.
Risotto with Squash and Pancetta
6 cups chicken broth
1 cup dry white wine
1 Tbl olive oil
3 ounces pancetta, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 cups butternut squash, peeled and chopped
2 cups arborio rice
2 Tbl butter
1/4 cup grated Parmesan, and additional to serve with
1. Bring broth and wine to a simmer in medium saucepan. Reduce heat; keep warm.
2. Heat oil in large skillet. Add pancetta and onion, stir fry 3 minutes. Add squash and continue to cook 1-2 minutes. Add rice; saute 1 minute. Add 2 cups hot broth mixture. Adjust heat so liquid bubbles gently. Stir until liquid is absorbed. Continue adding hot broth 1 cup at a time until rice is tender, simmering until liquid is absorbed before each addition, stirring often, about 20 minutes.
3. Stir butter and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese into risotto. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with additional Parmesan. Serves 6.