Make dinner from scratch, and quickly too! This recipe is a people pleaser.
Becky Low shares the method for a savory southwest cheddar chicken bake.
Southwest Cheddar Chicken
- 5 chicken fillets (about 1- 1 ¼ pounds)
- ½ cup canned black beans, drained
- ½ cup canned corn, drained
- 1 tablespoon sliced green onions
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dry taco seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 7 ounces cheddar cheese sauce (about ¾ cup)
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, garnish
- Chopped fresh Roma tomato, optional garnish
- Cooked noodles or rice, optional serving suggestion
- Fresh lime, optional
- Sliced jalapenos, optional garnish
Cut chicken into equal fillets. Thigh meat has more flavor, breast meat may be more uniform. Place meat in 9×13 pan, shingling pieces in layers as necessary.
Rinse drained black beans; combine beans, drained corn, sliced onion, minced garlic, taco seasoning, crushed red pepper and the cheese sauce. Stir to mix, spread sauce over the chicken. Cover and refrigerate 8-24 hours to marinate.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Cover chicken with foil and place in preheated onion; bake 60-75 minutes or until chicken is cooked through (internal chicken temperature should be 165 degrees).
Serve chicken on a bed of cooked noodles or rice; spoon additional sauce over the top. Garnish with chopped tomato, snipped fresh cilantro, a squeeze of lime juice, and sliced jalapenos.
Serves 4-5. Easy quick fix recipe for week night dining. Recipe is shared by National Dairy Council and was created as a series of Chef recipes for schools participating in national school lunch.
Becky Low represents The Dairy Council of Utah/Nevada a partner of Dairy West. For delicious dairy recipes and nutrition information go to: https://dairywest.com/recipe/