This enchilada casserole is healthy and delicious!
It’s the start of a new year, and that means many women are embracing a more healthy eating plan. If the kids aren’t on board with the same meals you are, this recipe is the solution. It packs in the veggies and protein while still being a crowd pleaser.
Alex Daynes shares how to make a Mexican inspired casserole with spaghetti squash. She shares her secret to perfect baked onions, and why you can count on the whole family enjoying this meal.
Spaghetti Squash Enchilada Casserole
- 1 medium-large spaghetti squash
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 8 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups of cooked and diced chicken
- 1 cup corn, fresh or frozen
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half and remove the seeds. Add it to the Instant Pot on the trivet with 1/2 cup water. Lock the lid, set the valve to seal, and manually set the timer for 10 minutes. Remove the lid and shred the squash up with two forks.
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Heat the oil over medium-low in a frying pan. Add the onion. Saute until soft. Add the garlic and saute another minute.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the softened cream cheese, tomatoes, eggs, chili powder, salt, and cumin.
- Add in the black beans, diced chicken, corn, onion mixture, and spaghetti squash strands. Mix. Spread even in the 9×13 pan.
- Bake 30 minutes. Remove and sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Turn oven to broil and bake for another 5 minutes, or until the cheese bubbles and starts to turn brown.