Spanish pizza is on the dinner menu this weekend!
It’s part flat bread, part pizza, and an all around a delicious Spanish inspired dish. The official name is Coca de Trampo, and it can be served as an appetizer, a dinner, even a brunch!
Si Foster shares how to make Spanish pizza, and what makes it different from its Italian cousin. While she and her husband were in Spain for 18 months, Si tried and learned to make all kinds of dishes! This one is like a savory tart that everyone will love.
Coca de Trampo (Spanish Pizza)
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 cup water sparkling (“augua con gas” in Spain) or seltzer water
- 1 teaspoon sea or kosher salt
- 2-3 cups all purpose flour plus more for hands
- 2 1/2 cups tomato, chopped
- 3 cups red pepper seeded and chopped about 1 large in Spain or 2-3 in USA (you may also use a mixture of different colors of peppers)
- 2 cups onion white chopped
- 3-4 teaspoons Spanish paprika 2 picante, 2 dulce or 4 teaspoons of a combination or smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil for drizzling after baked
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and place the rack on the lower third of the oven.
Line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
Place 1 cup flour in a bowl. Add the olive oil, sparkling water and salt. Mix with your hands or a spoon until the dough starts to come together.
Add flour a little at a time, until the dough is no longer sticky. This may require a little more or less than the amount stated.
Press dough evenly onto parchment paper on cookie sheet in a rectangle shape. I use a 12×15 inch pan.
Bake crust at 375 for 15 minutes or until top starts to turn golden.
While the crust is baking, prepare the salad by dicing the veggies. Place in a bowl. Add 3-4 teaspoons Spanish paprika, 1 teaspoon salt and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Toss until combined.
Remove the crust from the oven when golden.
Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees.
Top the baked crust with veggies or “salad” and bake for 15-20 minutes more. Remove from the oven.
Drizzle the baked coca with a little more olive oil , sprinkle with finishing salt.
Cut into slices, serve immediately or at room temperature.
Store any leftover slices wrapped in parchment paper. Refrigerate if not eaten after one day.