2 1-½ to 2 pound skinless boneless turkey breast halves or 1 4 lb whole breast
1 recipe Curried Brown Rice Stuffing with Currents And Cranberries
heavy kitchen string
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/4 teaspoon salt – optional
Reynolds Oven Cooking Bag (regular size)
1. Trim fat and tendon from turkey breast(s), if necessary. Cut each breast horizontally through center of breast starting at thickest part of breast to but not through the outer edge (about ½ – from actually cutting the breast in half. Flip breast open as you would a book. Cover both sides of turkey breast halves with heavy-duty plastic wrap.
Using a meat mallet or rolling pin, flatten breast to as even a thickness of ½ inch. If breast comes in pieces place pieces together to form one large piece approximately the size of 1 2-lb breast half. Cover both sides with plastic wrap and pound pieces into one large piece approximately ½-inch thick. Roll meat up in plastic wrap and chill 30 minutes before stuffing.
2. Spread stuffing down center of breast to leaving a 1 -inch boarder on all sides. Starting with short sid and roll up jelly roll fashion. Secure roll at 2-inch intervals with string. Sprinkle roll on all sides with garlic powder, rubbed sage and salt.
3. Preheat oven to 325º F. Place turkey rolls, seam side down in regular size oven roasting bag and close. Place bag in shallow roasting pan and cut 6 small slits in top of bag; insert meat thermometer inside one of the slits. Bake an hour and 15 minutes or until meat thermometer reaches 170º F. Remove turkey roll from oven and let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
Yield: 13 to 16 3-oz. servings of turkey breast with 1/2 cup stuffing at approximately 206 calories; 3.8 grams total fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 47 milligrams cholesterol; 18 grams carbohydrate; 1.1 grams dietary fiber; 25 grams protein; 675 milligrams sodium.
Compare with roasted turkey white/dark meat and regular bread stuffing at 16 grams total fat and 350 calories
CURRIED BROWN RICE STUFFING WITH CURRANTS AND CRANBERRIES
1. Bring water, rice, bouillon and curry to boil in a 4-quart saucepan. Stir; cover pan and reduce heat to low and simmer 50 minutes. Remove pan from heat and allow rice to sit covered 10 to 15 minutes. Remove lid from pan, gently fluff rice with a fork, cover pan and set aside.
2. Remove sausage from casings and cook over medium heat crumbling meat into smaller pieces while cooking. Drain sausage on paper towels if necessary. Wipe drippings from pan and re-heat on medium and sauté onion, mushrooms, garlic, shallots, and parsley until tender. Reduce heat to medium-low; add sherry, sausage, currants, remaining spices and cook until liquid is reduced. Add rice to pan and mix all ingredients together. Remove pan from heat and serve or cool if being used as stuffing.
Yield: 12 1/2-cup servings at approximately 108 calories; 1.9 grams total fat; 0.4 gram saturated fat; 13 milligrams cholesterol; 17 grams carbohydrate; 0.8 gram dietary fiber; 6 grams protein; 300 milligrams sodium.