2/3 C. sugar
1/4 C. cornstarch
1 egg plus 3 egg whites
1 1/2 C. skim milk
1 1/2 C. evaporated skim milk
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 Tbsp. amaretto liqueur- optional
1/2 tsp. almond extract- optional
1 small angel food cake or 1 fat free yellow pound cake (10-12 oz.)
1/2 C. reduced sugar or sugar-free raspberry preserves
2 Tbsp. cream sherry
5 to 6 C. fresh fruit
(strawberries,raspberries, blackberries, cherries, peaches) additional fruit
3-quart (12 cup) trifle dish or clear flat bottom glass bowl
1. To prepare custard; blend sugar together with cornstarch in mixing bowl.
Add egg and egg whites to sugar, beating on high speed with an electric mixer
for 5 minutes.
2. Pour evaporated and skim milks into a saucepan and heat on medium, stirring
constantly until steaming. Gradually stir half of the hot milk into the egg
mixture. Stirring, pour the hot egg and milk mixute back into the milk
remaining in the saucepan. Return to medium heat and cook 10 to 15 minutes,
stirring constantly until mixture is thickened.
3. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Stir in vanilla and amaretto or almond extract and pour custand into a clean
bowl. Place a piece of wax paper or plastic wrap directly on the surface of
the custard to prevent skin from forming. Chill for 40 minutes or longer.
4. Mix preserves together with cream sherry and set aside. Cut cake into
2-inch thick slices; cut slices into 1-by-4-inch strips. Spread sherried
preserves over one side of each strip. Arrange half the cake, jam side up in
the bottom of the dish.
5. Arrange half of the fruit over the cake; spoon half of the custard over the
fruit and repeat the process. Cover the trifle and refrigerate for at least 4
hours or overnight. Just before serving, arrange fresh fruit decoratively in