Kick off the holiday of love with a Valentine’s Day breakfast.
Sure, a Valentine’s Day dinner is a great excuse to pull out all the stops. But we argue that a Valentine’s Day breakfast can be even more fun! There’s no sweeter way to kick off a day of love.
Megan Faulkner Brown rolls out our breakfast menu for Valentine’s Day. She shares her recipe for a Nutella berry overnight casserole, how to make heart-shaped bacon, and how to give your fruit a heart-eyed face.
Nutella Berry Croissant Casserole
Courtesy of Megan Faulkner Brown
- 6 to 8 large croissants (you want about 1 1/2 lbs of bread)
- Small jar of Nutella (or a large jar because the more the merrier)
- 10 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar (or 1/4 cup if you want it a little less sweet)
- 1 TBSP vanilla extract
- Fresh berries of your choice
- Berry Jam of your choice (optional)
- Powdered sugar (for garnish)
- Using non-stick cooking spray or butter, grease a 9×13 casserole dish and set aside.
- Carefully with a serrated knife, cut croissants open lengthwise like you would for a sandwich- but don’t cut it all the way through.
- Spread Nutella onto one side of the croissant. (Optional, spread a small skiff of berry jam on top of the Nutella) Fold over the top of the croissant to enclose the filling.
- Carefully with a serrated knife, cut each croissant into 8 or so pieces. Place the pieces into the casserole dish and kind of pack them together by pressing down lightly.
- In a larger bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, sugar, and vanilla extract until well blended. Slowly pour over the top of the croissant pieces. Using a spatula, gently press the croissant pieces back down to help them soak up the mixture. Using aluminum foil, cover the dish and refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning when you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven to an internal temperature of 350 degrees. Bake for 30 minutes and remove the foil and bake uncovered for another 15-20 minutes – until you have your desired crispiness.
- Garnish with a light sprinkling of powdered sugar, fresh berries and a Nutella drizzle.