Elena Davis is a true Italian cook with true Italian flair! Her website is one to bookmark come dinner time. You can check out all of her recipes at cucinabyelena.com.
It doesn’t take much effort to whip up an authentic Italian tomato sauce.
This is a go-to, easy, classic, and flavorful tomato sauce recipe you will love! It comes together in less than 30 minutes with only four ingredients.
Elena Davis shares the recipe for homemade authentic Italian tomato sauce. Once you try this homemade tomato sauce, you’ll never go back to jarred marinara. It tastes like an Italian restaurant at half the cost. Elena calls this recipe her “Mother Sauce” of Italian cuisine. It can be the base for just about anything!
Authentic Italian Tomato Sauce Recipe
- 1 small onion (yellow or white), chopped or cut into thin slices (depending on preference)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (good quality such as Colavita)
- 1 28 oz can of good quality whole peeled canned tomatoes (you can also use crushed tomatoes, or passata (tomato puree)
- 5-6 leaves of fresh basil, whole and washed
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan or pot, medium heat, add olive oil and sauté onion for about 6 minutes, until translucent.
- Add canned tomatoes. Cover and let simmer on low-medium heat (the sauce should bubble, but not boil) after 10 minutes of cooking crush the whole tomatoes with a wooden spoon to break them up. You can also use an immersion blender.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes until the liquid reduces slightly. Stir occasionally during cooking.
- Turn off the heat and add the basil to the sauce. Add salt and a bit of pepper to taste. If you notice any bitterness you may add a teaspoon of sugar. If you notice the sauce isn’t as thick as you like it add a tablespoon of good quality pure tomato paste.
- Store in the fridge or freezer and use as a sauce for pasta, polenta, gnocchi, and more!