1 3/4 cups unbleached flour
1 tablespoon butter flavoring
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon malted milk powder
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
1/4 cup light butter or margarine, softened
1/4 cup non-fat sour cream
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 egg whites
1 can reduced fat vanilla flavored white frosting
red or pink food colorings
1. Stir flour, baking powder, butter flavoring, malted milk powder and nutmeg
together in a bowl, unil throughly combined. Set aside
2. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sour cream with sugar until smooth.
Blend in vanilla and egg whites, beating again until smooth. Gradually add
flour mixture, mixing until just well combined.
3. Enclose dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least eight hours or over
night. The longer dough is refrigerated, the easier to handle.
4. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Roll a third of dough at a time on lightly
floured board or pastry clothe to about 1/4 inch thickness. Cut out cookies with floured 3-4 inch cutters into desired shapes Put cookies on
non-stick baking sheet or lightly sprayed sheet.
5. Bake cookies until lightly golden brown around edges. About 12 to 15
minutes. Let cookies stand about one minute, then cool on wire racks. After
completely cooled, frost and decorate.