This vegan lasagna doesn’t lack in the flavor department.
Lasagna is a no-brainer in the comfort food category. But did you know you can make a meatless version that’s just as flavorful and filling as the original?
Julianne Nagel shares her recipe for vegan lasagna and the result is a dish that’s healthy, heartwarming, and incorporates all the ingredients that make for a well-balanced meal.
To find more of Julianne’s recipes and tips, you can follow her on Instagram at @gardenoveaten.
- ½ tbsp oil
- 1 onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- One small can mushrooms sliced
- ½ tbsp soy sauce (gluten-free if needed)
- 3.5 oz fresh spinach
- 1 ½ cups marinara sauce (*see notes)
- 6-8 lasagna noodles (regular or gluten-free)
- 1 2/3 cups hummus (*see notes)
- ½ tsp cumin (optional)
- ½ tsp paprika (optional)
- A few tbsp lemon juice (optional)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 7 oz vegan cheese
- Cook the lasagna noodles in a large pot (filled with boiling water and salt) according to package directions or until al dente.
- Ladle about 1/2 cup marinara sauce (or your favorite tomato sauce) in the bottom of a 9×6 (23×15 cm) baking dish (you can use a larger pan). Set aside.
- While the lasagna noodles cook, heat oil in a pan over medium heat and add the diced onion, garlic, and mushrooms. Saute for about 4 minutes. Then add soy sauce and spinach. Cook for a further 30-60 seconds, then turn off the heat.
- Add the hummus and stir with a spoon.
- Depending on the brand of your store-bought hummus, you might need to add more flavor. I added cumin, paprika, salt, black pepper, and lemon juice to taste.
- Carefully drain the lasagna noodles and preheat your oven to 360 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius).
- Lay cooked noodles on a clean surface and place about 1/4 cup of the hummus-mixture on each noodle and spread it evenly. Roll up each lasagna noodle and place it seam-side down in the baking dish. 8. Ladle the remaining 1 cup marinara sauce over the lasagna noodles.
- Add vegan cheese on top (I used my homemade vegan cheese sauce)