Toffee topped with white chocolate and sprinkled with crushed candy canes. It’s a homemade holiday treat from the Studio 5 Sweet Shoppe.
White Chocolate Candy Cane Toffee
2 c. butter
2 c. white sugar
1/4 T salt
2 c. white chocolate chips
3/4 c. candy canes, crushed into very small pieces
-shortening for cookie sheet
1. In a very large heavy bottomed saucepan, combine the butter, sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring until butter is melted (with a wooden spoon). Attach candy thermometer to inside of pan, with the tip inside the bubbling mixture.
2. Allow to come to a boil, and cook until mixture becomes a dark amber color, or when temperature has reached about 285 degrees. Stir occasionally.
3. While toffee is cooking, cover a large cookie sheet with aluminum foil, and grease with a little shortening (this will make it super-easy to remove toffee from pan).
4. As soon as the toffee reaches the proper temperature, pour it onto the prepared cookie sheet. Sprinkle the white chocolate chips over the top, and let sit for about a minute (when they begin to look glossy and melt). Spread the chocolate (with a spatula) into a thin and even layer. Immediately sprinkle with crushed candy canes and slightly press into chocolate.
5. Place toffee, uncovered, into refrigerator to chill until set. Break into pieces, and store in an airtight container.