1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup mirin sweet rice wine
1/2 cup sake
1/2 cup light soy sauce
1 large clove garlic, minced or pressed
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 1/4 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
4 fresh medium Chinese black mushrooms or 16 regular mushrooms
2 medium green or red bell peppers
1 medium leek or 1 medium red onion
1 8 oz. can whole water chestnuts
1 cup fresh pineapple chunks
25 to 30 metal or bamboo skewers, 6 inch for appetizers, 10-inch for entree’
seven spice powder, optional
1. Mix sugar, rice wine, sake, soy sauce, garlic and ginger in a one-quart
saucepan, heat over high until boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer
15 to 20 minutes until volume is reduced to one cup and set aside to cool.
2. Cut chicken into one-inch pieces and marinate in sauce for 30 minutes, to
an hour. Remove and discard mushroom stems, cut each cap in thirds if using
Chinese black mushrooms. If using domestic variety, leave whole or cut in
half. Cut peppers, leek or onion and pineapple into 1 inch pieces.
3. Remove chicken from marinade and set aside. Pour marinade into a small pan
and mix with 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch. Bring to boil over medium high heat,
stirring constantly as mixture thickens. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Thread 3 or 4 pieces of food on each skewer, completing as follows:
alternate chicken with leek and peppers and alternate mushrooms with water
chestnuts and pineapple.
5. Broil or grill, 4 or 5 inches from heat source, basting chicken with sauce
just until lightly browned. Turn skewers over and cooked. Total cooking time
will be about ten minutes. Serve with spice powder and remaining marinade.