April is National Child Abuse Prevention Month, and child abuse is more prevalent in Utah than you might think. This month Prevention Child Abuse Utah is devoted to doing everything they can to create a community that actively supports the well-being of our children through our Pinwheels for Prevention campaign.
Child Abuse Statistics in Utah
· Utah ranks 10th in the nation for proven cases of child abuse.
· There’s a confirmed case of child abuse every hour of every day in Utah.
· 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 6 boys will be sexually molested before the age of 18.
· 42 percent of victims were younger than 5 years old.
· Utah ranks 34th in the nation for child welfare spending – as a state, we do not allocate as much funding per capita towards social programs to help children as other states.
Who Is Prevent Child Abuse Utah?
· Prevent Child Abuse Utah develops programs that help support families, build better communities, and help advocate the issue of child abuse so that it receives the public attention and action it needs.
· All PCAU programs are approved by the Utah State Board of Education.
· Some of PCAU’s Programs
Child Abuse Prevention Faculty Training Internet Safety Safe Families Utah
Sexual Harassment Healthy Families Utah Bullying Prevention
Shaken Baby Syndrome Teen Dating Violence Stop Violence Start Safety
· Because of lack of funding, we are only able to reach 10% of Utah’s children with our much-needed programs.
What Can You Do?
· Learn about the signs of child abuse and what you should do if you suspect child abuse by going to our web site at PreventChildAbuseUtah.org.
· If you suspect child abuse, report it to DCFS by calling their toll free number at 1.800-678-9399
· Learn about PCAU programs by visiting our web site at PreventChildAbuseUtah.org or calling
· Find out if your child’s school offers PCAU programs.
· Make a donation so we can continue to offer our programs at more schools.
· Participate in our fundraising events.
-For more information on the programs available this month, visit www.preventchildabuseutah.com.