Our Foodie 2020 series is dedicated to bringing you up and coming food influences for the new year. One such influence is upgraded kid food. No longer is it dino nuggets and store-bought mac and cheese. We’re seeing a shift to more sophisticated tastes for those little taste buds. “But what about my picky eaters,” you may ask? These are recipes they can get on board with too.
Lindsey Hargett shares three elevated kid’s meals to make for dinner. We promise, no matter their taste preferences, your kids will eat every last bite.
Find more of Lindsey’s recipes on Instagram, @lkcooking
“Green Monster” Macaroni & Cheese
- 1 lb short pasta (elbows, rotini, shells, etc), cooked until tender and drained
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- ½ cup prepared pesto
- 1 cup (4 ounces) mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup (4 ounces) monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Salt and black pepper to taste
1. Over medium high heat, melt butter in a large saucepan and whisk in flour. Cook while whisking for about 2 minutes.
2. Slowly pour in the milk, whisking to combine with each addition. Cook until mixture thickens and begins to boil, stirring often.
3. Remove from heat and stir in pesto, whisking to combine. Stir in the cheeses. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Parmesan Chicken Nuggets
- 1 lb ground chicken (or turkey)
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
1. Pre-heat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine the ground chicken, parmesan, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Using a cookie scoop, scoop the mixture onto a sheet pan about 1” apart. Press them down just a bit to flatten them out.
3. Place the sheet pan in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes, to help the nuggets hold together for breading.
4. Pour the panko breadcrumbs into a shallow dish. Carefully toss each nugget in the panko, breading all sides, and placing back on the sheet pan.
5. Bake 12-15 minutes or until the nuggets are cooked through. Serve warm.
6. To freeze, cool completely on the pan, then put the entire pan into the freezer for about 15-20 minutes. Once the nuggets have partially frozen, toss them into a sealed container or zip-top bag. Reheat in the microwave or oven.
Yogurt “Smoothie” bowls
- Yogurt, any flavor
- Chia, flax, and/or hemp seeds
- Bananas, sliced
- Strawberries, sliced
- Kiwi, sliced
- Shredded coconut
- Chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts, almonds, etc)
1. Add yogurt to your bowl, then top with toppings of your choice!