Grown Up Sloppy Joes
- 6 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1 small onion
- 1 green pepper or frozen peppers diced
- 1 tsp. oregano & garlic powder
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- 12 oz. diced tomatoes and juices
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar or monk fruit sweetener
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Wash & place your sweet potatoes on a baking sheet. Prick the potatoes with a fork, and bake for 30-35 minutes, (up to an hour if your sweet potatoes are large) until flesh is tender and potatoes are soft. Remove from the oven and cool slightly until you can handle with your fingers.
- In a large skillet, sauté the onion, pepper and turkey, stirring occasionally. Then add the seasonings, oregano, garlic powder, chili, and kosher salt. Continue cooking for 2-3 more minutes. Then add the tomatoes, mustard, vinegar, tomato paste, and sugar. Stir together, and simmer until sauce thickens slightly.
- Once the filling is done, cut the potatoes lengthwise, and open with your fingers. Place a large scoop of filling into the potato, and repeat until each potato is filled. Serve warm. Top with diced green onions, jalapenos, just before serving.