Fall is about to go on a diet.
Mary Ross from Select Health shares a way to lighten up her popular pumpkin spice cake recipe, without even cutting out the frosting.
Pumpkin Spice Cake
1 yellow cake mix
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1/8 tsp. ground cardamon (optional)
3/4 cup skim milk
1 egg plus 2 egg whites
1 cup solid-pack canned pumpkin
1 tsp. vanilla
PAM® BAKING (99% Less Residue) No-Stick Cooking Spray with Flour (optional)
1. Lightly spray a regular or stick resistant Bundt cake pan with cooking spray, dust with flour and set aside.
If using a nonstick Bundt pan, spread 1 tsp. vegetable oil over surface and dust with flour.
2. Preheat oven to 325º F. Whisk cake mix together with spices until combined. In a smaller bowl, whisk
milk together with egg, egg whites, pumpkin, and vanilla until combined.
3. Pour liquid ingredients into mixing bowl and mix all ingredients together on medium speed of an electric mixer for 3 to 4 minutes until well blended.
4. Pour batter into pan and smooth out top. Bake at 325º F for 40-50 minutes or until cake tests done.
Remove cake from oven and cool in pan for 15 minutes, then invert cake pan on rack, remove pan, and finish cooling. After cake has cooled completely, pipe or drizzle frosting onto cake and top with decorative holiday candies or sprinkles.
Nutritional Information: 10 servings with 2 tbsp. frosting: 230 Calories; 5g Fat (18.2% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 45g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 22mg Cholesterol; 377mg Sodium.
Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 0 Fat.
Light Cream Cheese Frosting
1-16 oz. package confectioner’s sugar (4 cups)
6 oz. 1/3-less fat cream cheese
½ tsp. vanilla
food coloring, paste or liquid
1. Using an electric mixer, beat all ingredients together on medium to high speed until smooth and food
coloring is blended evenly into frosting, 2 to 3 minutes. Add 1 to 3 tsp. milk or water to mixture if you are
planning to drizzle frosting.
Nutritional Information: Yield 2 cups or 16 two tbsp. servings: 135 Calories; 2g Fat (13.7% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 29g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 7mg Cholesterol; 48mg Sodium.
Exchanges: 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 Other Carbohydrates.