Whether you need to firm up, get rid of wrinkles, or smooth out skin around your mouth and eyes, it’s best to do your research on various products including conversations with your health care provider or pharmacist.
Pharmacist Christine Jacobson with Health Mart Pharmacies talks about some of the more effective over-the-counter creams and what ingredients to look for to help you create a more confident-looking you.
Can you find a face-lift in a bottle?
It’s important to remember that anti-wrinkle creams are not botox or medical procedures such as a facelift. These are over-the-counter cosmetics. If they were more potent, they would be medical procedures and drugs and not cosmetics. More potent drugs would be prescribed by your health care provider. So results from use of these preparations are only marginal, but here are six that receive good reviews by Consumer Reports. Remember, the more effective the active ingredient is in a cream, the more active the results are.
Another consideration is cost. Some effective anti-wrinkle creams do a great job and are fairly affordable. Others are higher-priced and still aren’t as effective. So be sure to do your homework on anti-wrinkle creams.
Important Ingredients Found in Anti-Wrinkle Creams
Mayo Clinic lists the following as possible active ingredients to look for in individual anti-wrinkle cream products. Each cream will not have all of these ingredients:
1) Retinol – an antioxidant, widely used in non-prescription wrinkle creams, which contains Vitamin A compounds
2) Hydroxy acids (both alpha hydroxy, which is more irritating to skin and beta hydroxy which is less. Originally hydroxyl acids were derived from fruits and sugars, but now it also can be created as chemicals
3) Coenzyme Q10 – helps protect against sun damage
4) Copper Peptides – amino acids that help heal wounds, stimulate collagen production
5) Tea extracts – come from green, black and oolong tea, found in most common wrinkle creams and are anti-inflammatory.
Six good Anti-Wrinkle Creams you may want to try:
1) Olay Regenerist
3) Avon Clinical Advanced Wrinkle Corrector
4) RoC Retinal Correxion or RoC Retin OX+
5) Neutrogena Visibly Firm Night Cream
6) Lancome Renergie
Source: Consumer Reports January 2007 and Mayo Clinic
Your Health Mart Pharmacist is equipped to help with information on your pharmacy needs as well as information on anti-wrinkle creams.
For your nearest Health Mart pharmacy, go to www.healthmart.com.
Morgan Health Mart Drug
109 North Commercial Street
Spence’s Health Mart Pharmacy
550 East 1400 North
Cache Valley Health Mart Pharmacy
2380 North 400 East
North Logan, Utah
Wangsgard Health Mart Pharmacy
120 North Washington Blvd
Mountain View Health Mart Pharmacy
1100 West 2700 North
Pleasant View, UT
Wasatch Health Mart Pharmacy
4387 Harrison Blvd
Larry’s Smithfield Health Mart Pharmacy
502 So Main, Suite B