These pumpkin recipes aren’t just delicious, they’re healthy too!
It’s not just for holiday pies and seasonal treats, pumpkin is packed with goodness. This fall-favorite produce is a nutritional knockout.
Suzy Robertson says you should be adding it more frequently to your diet. She shares some of the health benefits of pumpkin, as well as a recipe for healthy pumpkin cookies and pumpkin chia pudding.
The Health Benefits of Pumpkin
First off, pumpkins bring some anti-inflammatory firepower to the table. Thanks to the classic pumpkin spice mix of cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and ginger, they’re like your secret weapon against inflammation. These spices have been loved for ages not just for their flavor but also for their ability to soothe inflammation, which can help fend off various health issues.
Pumpkins also pack a punch when it comes to antioxidants. These little heroes help shield your body from the damage caused by free radicals and support your immune system in its battle against diseases. So adding some pumpkin to your diet can give your health a boost.
If you’re all about those peepers, you’ll love this: pumpkins are eye-friendly. They’re chock-full of beta-carotene, the stuff that gives them and carrots their vibrant orange hue. Beta-carotene is like superfood for your eyes, helping maintain good vision, protecting against age-related eye problems, and reducing the risk of cataracts.
Pumpkins are no slouch in the fiber department, with a hearty 7 grams of the stuff per cup. Fiber isn’t just good for keeping things moving smoothly in your gut; it’s also a champ at steadying your blood sugar levels. So, it’s a win-win for your digestive and overall health.
Pumpkins are nutrient-dense. That means they’re loaded with essential vitamins, minerals, and other good stuff, all while being relatively low in calories. So, whether you’re sipping pumpkin spice lattes or enjoying pumpkin in your favorite recipes, you’re getting a nutritious bang for your calorie buck.
Gluten Free Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Oat Cookies
serving size: 15
- 15 oz. pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 eggs
- ¼ c. brown sugar
- ½ c coconut sugar or cane sugar
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla
- 3 Tbsp. coconut oil
- ½ c. almond or cow’s milk
- 3 c. oats (ground into flour – or use 2 ½ c. oat flour)
- ½ c. rolled oats
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. allspice
- ½ tsp. cloves
- 1 ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 to 1 ½ c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Turn on the oven to 350 degrees. Spray cookie sheets with coconut oil or other non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix all the wet ingredients together in a bowl.
- Blend the 3 cups of oats in a blender until it becomes oat flour.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a larger bowl including the oat flour and the ½ c rolled oats.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry bowl & mix until just combined and there are no more dry clumps. Don’t overmix it.
- Scoop onto the cookie sheet into clumps about 2-4 Tbsp. size depending on how big you want your cookies. If you’d like you can even bake it in a 9×13 for 30 minutes & serve it like a cake.
- Bake the cookies for appx. 12-14 minutes or until the middle of the cookies don’t fall when you touch them or the toothpick comes out clean when you test them.
- Remove to a cooling rack and let cool slightly before eating. Store in an airtight container and refrigerate for freshness for up to a week.
I like to heat the leftovers in the microwave for about 20 seconds so the chocolate gets warm & melty again like they’re fresh!
RECIPE FROM SUZY ROBERTSON
Pumpkin Overnight Oats
serving size: 1
- 1 c. milk of choice
- ½ c. pumpkin puree not pumpkin pie filling
- 1-2 Tbsp. maple syrup or to taste
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. chia seeds
- ½ c. oats
OPTIONAL ADD-INS BEFORE SERVING
- 1 Tbsp. pecans or walnuts, chopped or granola
- 1 Tbsp. raisins
- dash of whipped cream
- In a medium bowl, combine milk, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and maple syrup. Use a whisk to stir ingredients until mixture is smooth and has an even consistency.
- Add the chia seeds to the bowl and mix again to incorporate the seeds.
- Cover and chill for 4 hours or until set. Enjoy them cold. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days before being enjoyed.
- Top with whipped cream, nuts, a sprinkle of cinnamon or chopped nuts.
RECIPE FROM SUZY ROBERTSON
Suzy Robertson is a mother of all boys who spends a lot of time in the kitchen creating recipes that are healthy and delicious. She loves nature and playing as much as possible. Her five favorites: family, faith, friends, fun, and of course, food! She lives by the 80/20 principle, where 80% of the time she tries to eat as healthy as possible and the other 20% she spends enjoying sweets and the other delectable things in life. She says, it’s all about balance.