This isn’t your average tomato soup.
A good soup is the kind of meal we look forward to in these cold, winter months. Add artichokes and barley to your tomatoes and you’ve got a filling meal everyone will enjoy.
Suzy Robertson shares the recipe. She shares why barley makes this soup really stand out, and how to mix it all up for maximum flavor and heartiness.
Tomato and Artichoke Soup With Barley
This tomato artichoke soup with barley is so filling, you can even use it as your main dish! The hearty barley grain is so delicious and chewy and will keep you full for hours and is simple to make with ingredients from the pantry! You will love this addition to the traditional tomato soup!
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 1 lg. Onion, finely chopped
- 1 TBS. Minced garlic
- 1 tsp. Dried thyme or basil
- 15 oz. Can artichoke hearts, drained & coarsely chopped
- 28 oz. Can chopped tomatoes with juices
- 4 c. chicken broth
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Black pepper
- 1/2 c. sour cream, Greek yogurt, or half & half
- 1-2 c. barley, cooked
- Boil 2 ½ c. water, then add 1 c. dry barley.
- Bring to a boil again and then cover and reduce heat to low. It usually takes around 45 minutes to cook. If you have pearled barley, that will only take about 30 minutes. Try to buy regular barley though because it’s a whole grain when it has the hull on. Cook until barley is soft. Drain any excess water.
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil and sauté the onion for 5 min. until soft.
- Add the garlic and thyme or basil and sauté another minute. Add the tomatoes, chicken broth, salt & pepper.
- Cover; simmer for 20 minutes.
- If you would like, you can use an immersion blender to make a smoother soup. Do this before you add the barley and artichoke hearts. Blend until the desired texture is reached. I usually blend for about 30 seconds to a minute.
- Then add the sour cream, artichoke hearts and barley, stir well and simmer for 5 more minutes or until everything is heated through. Then taste for more seasoning.
- To add extra floor, you can garnish with some herb infused olive oil or fresh basil (if desired). Then enjoy this delicious tomato artichoke soup with barley!