Former Salt Lake Mayor Deedee Corradini has given a speech (or two!) in her career. She shares her tips for becoming a powerful public speaker.
1. Don’t start with “glad to be here, etc.”—you need start to get people listening immediately.
2. Make 3 points.
3. You need humor!
4. Don’t read your speech.
5. Do an outline in advance that includes: introduction, 3 points, and a conclusion.
6. Research your audience in advance—what interests them? What will be helpful to them?
7. Ask yourself the questions: What do you want them to do? Impression you want to leave them with?
8. Share personal experiences.