Author and Cyber Expert, Ken Knapton shares tips to keep your home cyber safe.
Here are some solutions for some common cyber trouble spots:
1. Wireless access in your home.
Problem: potential access to inappropriate content.
• Disable game console wireless Internet access.
• Password-protect your wireless access so you know which devices connect, and so you don’t become an access point for your neighbors children.
• Consider a wireless gateway filter (such as Pandora’s Hope, if we can name a specific product).
2. Cell Phones web access.
Problem: potential access to inappropriate content and potential for “sexting”.
• Charging station at night.
• Consider disabling web access via your service provider.
• Spot-check photos and text messages
3. Online addictions.
Problem: Social networking and online games can be very addicting. There are no “natural bounds”.
• Set rules and guidelines
• Use time controls features of your operating system or filter
• Become “friends” with your children on their social network
• Spot-check their account – have them log in, and look at their “wall” with them
Top 5 things to do:
Install a filter
Set time controls
Set up a “charging station” for phones and other mobile devices
Spot check cell phones and social network accounts
Talk – set up guidelines, rules and tools, be actively involved in your children’s digital world.
Ken Knapton is a Cyber Safety expert and the author of “Cyber Safety: Maintaining Morality in a Digital World”.
Check out his cyber safety blog at www.KenKnapton.com