Heidi VanValkenburg, with Rhodes Rolls, shares the recipe for a mountain man strata.
Find more recipes at rhodesbakenserv.com.
Mountain Man Strata
- 6 Warm & Serve Rolls, thawed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 Eggs
- 1 ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp cracked pepper
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 cup diced onion
- 4 cups frozen southern potatoes or hash browns
- 12 slices of cooked bacon
- 12 ounces cooked ground sausage cooked
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- Whisk the eggs, heavy cream, salt & pepper together in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut rolls into 1-inch cubes and add to the egg mixture. Stir until the bread soaks up the egg mixture. Let it stand for 10 minutes.
- Chop the bell pepper, onion & bacon. Add the pepper, onion, bacon, sausage & potatoes to the bread mixture; stir until the ingredients are combined. Pour the mixture into an oiled Dutch oven, (or line Dutch Oven with parchment paper.)
- Bake at 350ºF for about 60 minutes; for a 10” Dutch Oven 350ºF place 15 coals on top & 9 on the bottom for a 12” Dutch Oven 350ºF place 16 coals on top & 10 on the bottom.
- Top with cheese during the last 10 minutes of baking.