1 recipe “Light Alfredo Sauce”
1 tablespoon fresh basil, finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
olive oil cooking spray
1 clove fresh garlic, pressed or minced
1-2 cups fresh sliced mushrooms (8 oz.)
1 cups fresh asparagus tips and stems
1 cup fresh carrots, thinly sliced
1 cup slender green beans
1 cup slivered red or yellow pepper, or any combination of 6 to 7 cups fresh seasonal vegetables
6 cups egg-less spinach fettuccine or other pasta cooked without oil or salt, (9-12 oz. uncooked pasta)
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Separately blanch each vegetable with
the exception of the mushrooms, garlic and red and/or yellow peppers. When
each vegetable is tender but crisp; remove from and transfer to cold water.
drain vegetables well on paper towels; patting dry if necessary. Save
vegetable water to cook pasta.
2. Lightly spray a large non-stick skillet with cooking spray and heat on
medium for 2 to 3 minutes. Saute mushrooms, peppers and garlic until tender.
remove from heat and set aside.
3. Using a 3- to 4-quart saucepan; prepare alfredo sauce according to recipe
directions. After reducing heat to low, add basil, parsley and cooked
vegetables to sauce. Stirring frequently, continue to simmer 5 minutes or
until vegetables are heated.
4. To cook pasta, bring reserved vegetable water to rolling boil adding more
water if necessary; cook pasta according to package directions. Drain well and
serve with sauce.
Light Alfredo Sauce:
1 cup nonfat evaporated skim milk
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour or 1/2 cup flour if omitting yolk
2 cups nonfat skim milk
1 egg yolk-optional
1/2 teaspoon or more salt
white pepper to taste
1 tablespoon Molly McButter or similar butter seasoning
3 oz. fresh grated Parmesan cheese
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1. Pour evaporated skim milk into a medium, heavy-bottomed saucepan. Adding
about a third of the flour at a time, briskly whisk milk and egg yolk into the
evaporated skim milk and flour mixture of “slurry.”
2. Bring mixture to gentle boil over medium heat; whisking constantly continue
to cook 10 minutes or until sauce thickens. Add salt, pepper, butter
flavoring, cheese and nutmeg; reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes,
3. Adjust seasonings and serve or set aside; covering surface of sauce with
plastic wrap or wax paper to prevent a skin from forming.